The Taliban introduced new measures that make it even more more difficult for Afghans to leave the country in a separate “demining operation”, with security forces go door to door through Kabul on Monday in a massive security sweep.
the new the travel ban was announced Sunday evening by Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid, who presented the restrictions as aimed at preventing difficulties for Afghans abroad.
Evacuations organized by nations or non-governmental organizations (NGOs) have been banned, while even families attempting to leave the country on their own are now need “an excuse”, or they will be stopped by immigration.
“I must say clearly that people who leave the country along with their families and have no excuse…we are stopping them,” Mujahid told a press conference on Sunday evening.
The women go also not be able to fly overseas unless accompanied by a parent male – reflecting similar national restrictions introduced last year which prohibits solo travel between cities and towns.
“If they (women) want travel abroad, they should have a chaperone,” Mujahid said.
the announcement came the same weekend a search for “kidnappers, thieves and looters” hit off in Kabul and other Afghan cities – a so-called “clearance operation” separate from travel measures.
the new travel restrictions will alarm dozens of thousands of Afghans who were promised asylum abroad after working with Foreign forces led by the United States or other Western organizations during the 20-year insurrection.
More than 120,000 Afghans and dual nationals were evacuated up to August 31 when the last US-led troops withdrew, two weeks after the Taliban captured Kabul.
Thousands with similar links are always in Afghanistan, however, is desperate to leave and fears being targeted by the Taliban as “collaborators”.
the last official evacuation by air has been on 1 December, although organized road convoys to Pakistan took place as recently as last week.
Mujahid said that the decision ban departures came because the Taliban had received reports of thousands of Afghans “living in very bad conditions” abroad.
“The government has the responsibility to protect the people so it will be stopped until we are sure that their lives will not be put in jeopardy. danger”, he said, adding that they had never promised for evacuations continue indefinitely.
“Initially, we said that the Americans…could take people who they were worried about… But that’s not a continuing promise.”
Since the Taliban took over Kabul in August, Afghanistan plunged into economic crisis, pushing even those with no connection to the former jamming regime for output.
Thousands of people daily try to cross into neighboring Iran in to look for of workou in an attempt to reach Europe in hope of asylum.
The United States seized $7 billion in Afghan assets detained abroad – reserve half for humanitarian aid that bypasses the Taliban, and half for a fund to compensate families of those who deceased in the attacks of September 11, 2001.
‘Not against the common people’
Meanwhile, a massive security sweep of Kabul continued on Monday with Taliban fighters leave house for house in to look for of weapons and accused criminals for a recent upsurge of thefts and kidnappings.
The “clearance operation” alarmed many who fear of being targeted because of their association with the old Western-backed regime or US-led foreign forces.
Furious residents have posted videos on social media showing homes they said they were ransacked during Taliban searches, but several people told Agence France-Presse (AFP) that their meetings had been polite and superficial.
Mujahid said authorities discovered two victims of removal during the operation and also released two teenage girls who they or they found chained in A cave.
He said light and heavy weapons, explosives, radio equipment and drones had been seized, as well as vehicles belonging to the military Where government.
Six people suspected of being members of Daesh had been detained, he said, with with nine kidnappers and 53 “professional thieves”.
“We want to reassure residents of Kabul that these operations are not against the common people“, Mujahid said.
“The residents of the city should be sure that the search continues on carefully.”