Authorities announced that norovirus is the culprit behind hospitalization of hundreds of people in western province of Bilecik in these last weeks. Investigation found out that the virus, whose symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea and upset stomach, came from city’s drinking water. Ministry of Health teams discovered that unfiltered water from a spring had contaminated the drinking water supply of the city of more over 228,000 people.
Dr. Ferhat Damkaci, head of Direction Bilecik of Health, issued a written statement on Tuesday on the issue. He said they had launched investigations after a vague in the number of people to complain of diarrhea and other symptoms applicable to hospitals. He said they interviewed 552 people among the hospitalized and one public health team investigated the cases. Damkacı said that he carried out analyzes in more over 600 locations along the water supply lines and discovered water from a mixed creek with the water in a storage facility, adding that the municipality has since closed the leak. “To analyse of spring water and feces samples from patients indicated norovirus,” he said, adding that they continue to monitor the water supply.
“Norovirus is common in adults and children and is behind the majority of case of diarrhoea. It’s the main cause of diarrhea in about 20% of people seek treatment for the condition in the world. It spreads by contact with infected people and water and infection can last for three weeks. the public should pay attention to personal and domestic hygiene, especially in wash your hands after leaving the toilet and should wash vegetables and fruits properly,” he warned.
Some 32,000 people were hospitalized in 2016 in the southern province of Kahramanmaras to cause of norovirus.
Norovirus is also known as winter vomiting virus as it is more common in winter. Experts say that a bleach-based household cleaner or combination of bleach and hot water should be used to disinfect household surfaces that may be contaminated, as well as commonly used objects such as toilets, taps, telephones, door handles and kitchen surfaces. Those who are sick should avoid cook and help prepare meals for others up to 48 hours after the symptoms disappear, car norovirus can be spread through contaminated food.